Are you interested in becoming an Emergency Medical Responder? This is the entry level course to becoming a paramedic and will provide you with many opportunities for industrial first aid work!
Participants will learn and demonstrate all knowledge and skills needed to provide appropriate patient assessments, interventions, and on-going care, including the transportation of a patient to a healthcare facility. Course content may vary depending on jurisdictional requirements and, in addition, follows the National Occupational Competency Profiles (NOCP) as defined by the Paramedic Association of Canada. Participants will be engaged in dynamic training techniques including video, media presentations, skills demonstrations, practice sessions, discussions and scenarios based on real-life situations.
Professionals in emergency medical care who may be responsible for initial assessments, the provision of safe and prudent care, and the transport of a patient to the most appropriate healthcare facility.
Participant must be certified in Standard First Aid with CPR level C.
- Successfully demonstrate the required skills
- Minimum 75% mark for written, closed book, knowledge evaluation
- Successfully complete two evaluated scenarios (one medical and one trauma)
- Attend and participate in 100% of the course
3-year certification in Emergency Medical Responder (digital certificate issued upon successful completion)
- The Professional Responder
- Responding to the call
- Infection prevention and control
- Anatomy and physiology
- Airway management and respiratory emergences
- Circulatory emergencies
- Hemorrhage and soft tissue trauma
- Musculoskeletal injuries
- Chest, abdominal and pelvic injuries
- Head and spinal injuries
- Acute and chronic illnesses
- Environmental illnesses
- Pregnancy, labour and delivery
- Special populations
- Crisis intervention
- Reaching, lifting and extricating patients
- Multiple-casualty incidents
- Marine environment
Includes any other content required by specific legislation
This course will be taught my Jessica Powell, owner of On the Go First Aid. Jessica has been a paramedic for over 15 years and has many years experience teaching and practicing first aid 🙂
Once you have completed this course you can apply to EMA Licensing for your EMR Licensing Examination (if you wish!). This is separate from the EMR certification examination that you will complete with us during the course.